Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2019 12:29:02 -0700
From:      Matthew Ahrens <mahrens@delphix.com>
To:        developer <developer@open-zfs.org>, illumos-zfs <zfs@lists.illumos.org>,  zfs-devel@list.zfsonlinux.org, zfs-devel@freebsd.org,  freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, zfs-discuss <zfs-discuss@zfsonlinux.org>
Subject:   Re: July OpenZFS Leadership Meeting
References:  <CAJjvXiE%2B27fYZh-RUmE=mjD4N63TrnTQVb65qaPZDj4K6oS-Rg@mail.gmail.com> <CAJjvXiE7y%2BYXAZCewDKNKXCmvMYhh4Fy0wt8Kh8V21WvYz3opg@mail.gmail.com> <CAJjvXiHhhZcg_4Ju1U1F9UWRxbNyJyDdnxp89CnBCQpWvqO4xw@mail.gmail.com> <CAJjvXiG4xB76c5p6OVmu9-zVz47DCcmPs%2BT0TUvMf572WXtNxw@mail.gmail.com> <CAJjvXiGXzxu0KiJ1eEHpcpM_o-L6zK-Kd=J2QjXC2wQsMR3Szg@mail.gmail.com> <CAJjvXiEE9beZ1fa8ug3SOExZLS6zkprCn%2BYaZRaKb-3WYAo7zA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJjvXiGtdTdHWOb7A10=NkV3NXAvwh14yK2gZv%2BLmW9AJF4zMw@mail.gmail.com> <CAJjvXiEpHq9KufwyUP5-pfJCg4LFcOGhZ5zojeqXdQ5eGAXknQ@mail.gmail.com>

The video and meeting notes are now available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DltIIDDq9qag&feature=3Dyoutu.be

   -

   ZoL + SIMD + Linux 5.0 (Matt)
   -

      Brian integrated some support for this already but he is currently on
      vacation
      -

      5.0+ made some changes to the floating point registers that were used
      by ZoL for SIMD instructions
      -

      Brian reimplemented some of those in ZoL and now these instructions
      work again and will be backported in 0.8
      -

      Needed for performant RAIDZ, Encryption, and some compression
      algorithms
      -

      Used only if the underlying CPU architecture actually supported
      (checked during runtime)
      -

   OpenZFS Developer Summit (Matt)
   -

      Announced: Nov 4-5. Same locations as last year in SF.
      -

      Registration and call for papers is open. Please submit a talk and
      tell us about the cool stuff you=E2=80=99re doing with ZFS
      -

      We appreciate people volunteering to help out with things for the
      conference.
      -

         Karyn will reach out to Rainbow about help with AV.
         -

      Ticket prices went up to $100. There are some discount tickets
      available, and let us know if the pricing is a hardship and we can tr=
y to
      figure something out.
      -

         FreeBSD Foundation may have travel grants available if want to
         apply
         -

      Get all the details (including a link to the registration site) on
      the OpenZFS wiki page
      <http://open-zfs.org/wiki/OpenZFS_Developer_Summit_2019>;
      -

   Property to track amount of queued TRIM/UNMAP (like =E2=80=9Cfreeing=E2=
=80=9D for async
   destroy) (Allan)
   -

      Allan Jude: users may want to know how many trim/unmapped is left or
      in-progress before performing other actions instead of performing the=
 pool
      -

      Matt: Maybe a flag to zpool sync =E2=80=94trim that could wait for al=
l trim
      activity to be done. Probably better than the existing proposal where=
 we
      have a property like freeing for it, which would jump up and down
      -

      `zpool wait` that is about to be upstreamed from Delphix and should
      be a good candidate to add this functionality. You can look at
the Delphix
      repo if you want to see it before the PR.
      -

   RAIDZ removal issue <https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/9013>; with
   design ideas (Igor)
   -

   RAIDZ expansion progress (Matt)
   -

      No progress to report since preview posted
      -

      The hope is to have takers to test it out
      -

      The functionality is there, there are on-disk format changes (so
      don't use it in production), a few race conditions being fixed and so=
me
      more error handling for device failures.
      -

      Important to note that even though we can expand the RAIDZ we still
      can't remove devices (e.g. zpool remove)
      -

      ZoL PR exists <https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/8853>; with
      design considerations for the feature
      -

   OpenZFS feature matrix
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CFapSYxA5QRFYy5k6ge3FutU7zbAWba=
eGN2nKVXgxCI/edit?usp=3Dsharing>
   (everyone)
   -

      FreeBSD is hoping to catch up with ZoL through the ZoF work
      -

      NFSv4 ACL PR waiting for code review - should we consider tracking
      this in the feature Matrix?
      -

         Update: Added
         -

         Note: already on illumos

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 1:03 PM Matthew Ahrens <mahrens@delphix.com> wrote:

> The next OpenZFS Leadership meeting will be held tomorrow, July 23,
> 11am-noon Pacific time.
>
> Everyone is welcome to attend and participate, and we will try to keep th=
> meeting on agenda and on time.  The meetings will be held online via Zoom=
,
> and recorded and posted to the website and YouTube after the meeting.
>
> The agenda for the meeting will be a discussion of the projects listed in
> the agenda doc.
>
> For more information and details on how to attend, as well as notes and
> video from the previous meeting, please see the agenda document:
>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w2jv2XVYFmBVvG1EGf-9A5HBVsjAYoLIFZAnW=
HhV-BM/edit