Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:01:46 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander V Zubchenko <stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: rc.sendmail new in Release 4.6

Greetings!

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:

> FBSD release 4.6 has updated the built in sendmail to version 8.12.3.
> The release notes say.
>
> 2.3.1.1 Sendmail
> sendmail has been updated to 8.12.3. sendmail(8) is no longer installed as a
> set-user-ID root binary (now set-group-ID smmsp). See
> /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/RELEASE_NOTES and /etc/mail/README for more
> information.
> With this sendmail upgrade, multiple sendmail daemons (some required to
> handle outgoing mail) are started by rc(8), even if the sendmail_enable
> variable is set to NO. To completely disable sendmail, sendmail_enable must
> be set to NONE. Alternatively, for systems using a different MTA, the
Set this to completely disable sendmail

> mta_start_script variable can be used to point to a different startup script
You may use this. But check, what it supposed to do. I choose on
4.3.-RELEASE way of /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postfix.sh Reason is that
'postfix' wait for args like 'start|stop' as any of scripts in rc.d
awaiting for. So postfix.sh is just a symlink to postfix executable.
IMHO, this is good way.

> I installed a virgin FBSD 4.6 from mimi-cdrom and then restored my backup up
> custom config files on top of it. I also installed the packages of the ports
> I regularly use from an backup of the packages files I saved. One of those
> is postfix. Postfix uses the sendmail wrapper to launch, (IE
> /etc/mail/mailer.conf).
Not necessary. In fact, mailwrapper is used to b compliant with
sendmail setup. If You don't suppose to use sendmail at all, You have
no to use it. Look at postfix documentation set.

> When I boot 4.6  I get these log messages
> Starting standard daemons: inedt cron sendmail
> Sendmail-clientmqueuesendmail: Illegal option -A
Sendmail executable in postfix does not recognize all flags of real
one. Another way to gt rid of msgs is to clear this flag from rc.conf

> Sendmail: Fatal: Usage: sendmail[options]
> Postfix/sendmail[180]:Fatal: Usage: sendmail[options]
> Postfix/postfix-script: starting postfix mail system
>
> I can send and receive mail so postfix must be running ok.
> So my questions are,
> What am I to do to get rid of the boot sendmail messages?
> Do I still need to use the old sendmail wrapper
> /etc/mail/mailer.conf for postfix?
> What is the correct to launch postfix under FBSD 4.6?

Hope this help.

With respect,

Alexander V Zubchenko,		E-Mail: stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua
System Administrator,		WWW: http://www.hermes-comp.zp.ua/