Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:06:26 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.Technion.AC.IL>
To:        stox@enteract.com
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT4 server 2.5 times faster than Linux

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Kenneth P. Stox wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> <snip>

> > > Well, I'm not so sure about that. What technology has Sun, IBM, or Intel
> > > agreed to to donate to Linux right now ? I know Sun has made Java open,
> > > but have they donated any technology directly to the O/S ?
> >
> > Sun gave them a StarFire to play with.  Is that enough?  How many multi-
> > million dollar machines do they need?  ;^)
> >
> > IBM has sent several dozen workstations and a couple of large SMP
> > servers to their Linux PPC partner, somewhere in Florida.  Motorola
> > has 3 engineers doing full-time support for Linux on their CPU boards
> > over in Computer Division.
> >
> > SGI is already dead, they just haven't bothered to fall over yet.
> > Their executive staff have been driving them into the ground for
> > years, so it's not surprising.
>
> When I said donating technology, I meant things like XFS ( although SGI
> has not stated that this is one of the technologies ). Is IBM going to
> donate JFS and the volume management software ?

I read recently in a Compaq (DEC) site somwhere (sorry, don't remember
where) that Compaq is going to donate its compiler technology for the
Alpha. It was some mumbling of it being available for free, but w/o
sources for Linux developers (both RedHat and ISVs). I think details are
not yet finilized, but Compaq seems to be pushing Linux/alpha real hard.

> -Ken Stox
> stox@enteract.com

Nadav