Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 2015 19:31:04 +0100
From:      Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+freebsd@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   CARP IP address and jails

Trying to set up a jail with an IP address on a VHID of an interface,
using FreeBSD 10.2.

Back in the 9.x days when CARP (Common Address Redundancy Protocol)
was implemented as a separate cloned interface, I suppose one could
create such interface in a host and delegate it to jail(8), which
could then automatically assign a jail's IP address alias to it.

Now with FreeBSD 10 I cannot see how jail(8) could assign a
jail's configured IP address alias to an interface under a
given VHID. As far as I can tell the ip4.addr and ip6.addr
jail options can only take an interface name and an IP address,
but there is no provision to specify a VHID.

Is the jail's ip4=inherit (and ip6=inherit) now the only option
of running a jail on a CARPed IP address, allowing a jail to
have unrestricted access to all system addresses ?

   Mark