Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 02:07:48 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Emmanuel Gravel" <egravel@earthlink.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade woes

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 22:47:05 -0700, Emmanuel Gravel wrote:

>Problems in the first case: often had compiler crashes
>(signal 11, signal 10 and signal 4).

At which  point?

>Got it finally working
>after running with -DNOCLEAN -DNOGAMES. Then tried installworld
>and it crashed midway, unrecoverable (finally froze).

Where? What is "midway"

>to reinstall 3.3 from CD's (minimal, saved most of my config).

I believe it is recommened you upgrade to the latest level of
your release.
In other words it is advisable that you upgrade to 3.4 stable
before going to 4.X

>Problems in the second case: also ended up crashing mid-way

I think it would help if you described what was happening
instead of saying "mid-way"?

>Now resorting to downloading the 4.0 release ISO to burn a
>copy.

Why not make the install floppies and install from the net?
I did it once using a modem line. :-)