Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:40:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <up@3.am>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   serial console login failures

I have a serial console cable plugged in to the ttyd0 port of my fbsd box,
with the other end plugged into a Lucendington PM2e, so I can get to the
console in the event that the OS goes down.  It all works ok (it's one of
those Intel motherboards with a bios-accessible serial console that isn't
everything it's cracked up to be, but that's another story), but my
/var/log/messages file fills up with a bunch of these:

Oct 12 11:50:17 edward login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyd0, login:
Oct 12 11:55:57 edward login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyd0
Oct 12 11:55:57 edward login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyd0, login:
Oct 12 12:51:23 edward login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyd0
Oct 12 12:51:23 edward login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyd0, login:
Oct 12 12:57:53 edward login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyd0
Oct 12 12:57:53 edward login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyd0, login:

is there a way to suppress this, either from the fbsd end, or the ComOS
end?

TIA,

up@3.am							    http://3.am