Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:29:32 +0000
From:      Jason Henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Basic Info on Wireless Router Installation and Performance

On 01/20/05 15:37:07, Bob Perry wrote:
> Just joined an ISP that has agreed to provide residential DSL =20
> service.
>=20
> Their service is normally limited to commercial operations but they
> made the offer based on the fact that my OS was FreeBSD.
>=20
> At this stage we have determined that only one of three phone jacks
> in my apartment is able to sync-up with the DSL.  The options, thus
> far,
> are to fix the inside phone wiring or install a wireless router.
>=20
> I know little about wireless routers but have started some research
> and will
> continue.  However, thought I would also touch base with the mailing
> list
> to see what information/experience members are willing to pass along.
>=20
>=20
> Would appreciate it you would direct me to relevant resource material
> for
> further review. If you have the time, please respond with your
> thoughts re
> hardware/software, installation, stability, and security issues as
> they
> relate to wireless routers and FreeBSD.
>=20
> I also just purchased the 5.3 CD set and will replace my 4.9 box with
> it.
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Bob Perry

I and my friends have used linksys.  I used to love them, but they are =20
not good for heavy duty traffic.  My friend hosts his own website and =20
runs a teamspeak server with some other small stuff.  He has gone =20
through 3 or 4 routers over maybe 2-3 years, or less.  I don't know how =20
other brands standup hardware wise, but I think you get what you pay =20
for.  For around $60 a router, thats cheap.

When I have them I put a custum linksys/linux firmware on them and it =20
becomes an almost full featured linux box.  Iirc, you can only do this =20
with linksys.  Check http://sveasoft.com/ for more details on modifing =20
your router.