Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:53:42 -0300 (EST)
From:      Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Finger and getpwent

Hi,

I don't know if seding message to correct list. But after upgrade from
FBSD 2.2.2 to FBSD 2.2.6-stable something moved. In my /etc/passwd file
there are lots of coments "#" and getpwent() return 0 after read this
line. I have some scripts in perl that stops when getpwent() return 0.
In FBSD 2.2.2 when getpwent() returned 0 meant end of file /etc/passwd.

Same problem occurs in finger, ex:

my /etc/passwd:

xten:*:67:67:X-10 daemon:...
pop:*:68:6:Post Office Owner:...
nobody:*:65534:65534:Unprivileged user:...
ftp:*:14:5:Anonymous FTP Admin:...
majordom:*:69:69:Majordomo Pseudo User:...
quota:*:500:5:Quotas:...
paulo:*:501:5:Paulo Fragoso:...
#waterloo:(password):...
andre:*:1006:1001:...

mirage{paulo}:/etc:25$ finger ftp
Login: ftp                              Name: Anonymous FTP Admin

mirage{paulo}:/etc:26$ finger paulo
Login: paulo                            Name: Paulo Fragoso

but after "#waterloo" :

mirage{paulo}:/etc:27$ finger andre
finger: andre: no such user

I think so getpwent() must return 0 in true EOF /etc/passswd. Are there
any solution in this case? I don't want to remove my coments in
/etc/passwd.

Sorry for my english mistakes :-)

Many Thanks,
Paulo.