Date:      09 Jan 2002 15:52:16 -0500
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oh my god, Google has a USENET archive going back to 1981!

Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org> writes:
>A few years ago I tried hard to get a look at a real C65, you know, these
>things that Commodore never really finsished, but which showed up in a few=

>units after Commodore went bankrupt. However, I have never been able to
>pick up or only look at such a machine. Since only very few of them are
>available (and they are all very buggy), they are traded at very *high*
>prices between CBM fans...

        Really.....  I have a few of them in my basement.  Along with
various other beta and never-produced hardware, including a fabled AAA
Amiga chip (Mary) (no board, though), and evil things like Plus-4's and C-1=
6's.

        Lots of interesting stuff came out of the C64, including PlayNet,
which was renamed Quantumlink and then ported to the PC as AmericaOnline.
The frightening thing is that AOL still uses the old C64 windowed
error-correction protocol I designed to correct bit errors in the modem
traffic _when connecting to AOL over TCP/IP_.  I was shocked.  (article
about this somewhere on slashdot recently).

(my apologies for the off-topic-ness of this whole thread)
--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team, ex-Pla=
yNet