Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:17:42 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Device polling performance

At 11:40 AM 25/09/2004, TM4525@aol.com wrote:

>Ah, so the capacity of a FreeBSD router is > 10 million packets per
>second, since 200K pps only uses .1 % of system resources. Kudos to the
>FreeBSD team for developing a stack that uses no resources.

.... For the record, what I was saying was that a decent machine (e.g. 2.4
PIV) should be able to push 200,000 packets per second with decent NICs
(em, or fxp) and with a median packet size (see www.caida.org) of about 540
bytes, that works out to ~ 100Mb/s.

>Since its clear you have no idea what you're talking about, perhaps if
>someone who actually does would like to pipe in it would be useful.

I am sure many others will be happy to help you...

         ---Mike