Date:        Wed, 9 Aug 2000 21:12:45 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel compile between cvsup's

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 02:44:55PM +0100, j mckitrick wrote:

> just to be sure....
>
> after cvsupping, i *always* have to follow this procedure, correct?
>
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
> shutdown (single user)
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> reboot

You can usually get away with doing it the old way as well, but the above
should catch those cases where the old way doesn't work.
Use of the above procedure is recommended. (Unless /usr/src/UPDATING says
otherwise.)

> now, if i am just hacking around with my kernel, changing the configuration
> file, playing with drivers, testing code, etc, i can use the old method,
> correct?
>
> cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> config MYKERNEL
> cd ../../compile MYKERNEL
> make depend && make && make all install

Should work fine if both the world and the kernel you are runing were built
from the same sources as you use.

> or do i still need to use the new target 'make buildkernel' which seems to
> take much longer?  if i must follow the second, is there a way to shorten
> the build time?

You could use
MODULES_WITH_WORLD=true
in /etc/make.conf to avoid building all the modules when building a kernel.
(This applies to both methods of kernelbuilding.)
(Note that you want your kernel and your modules to be in sync so be
careful.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson