Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 23:59:19 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Local driver include files.

Short version:
	I like it...

Long version:

In message <200101231910.f0NJACs85801@aslan.scsiguy.com> "Justin T. Gibbs" writes:
: Well, it was.  I was able to build a kernel with the following
: modifications:

I think this might work.  Did you change all "local" includes as well?
If so, did you also compile the modules?  Did that work too?

This would make things easier to share with other systems.  But only
if those other systems also allow that to happen.  I don't think that
NetBSD's and OpenBSD's build system would allow it.  If you wanted to
support them, you'll need to your changes included there.

From a asthetic point of view, I like this idea.  As long as the
include files are knowable, this makes it easier to maintain.  And a
little easier to explain to other folks.  It would also make things
more "local" and improve "locality of reference".

It wouldn't help with the "where are the bus interface files located"
problem that we also have (ok, it isn't a big problem), but you'd
likely need ifdefs for that.  Or maybe not since that sort of thing
tends to be encapsulated in separate glue files for OSes or in
interesting tricks done in include files.

Warner