Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 2015 14:22:13 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
To:        Matthieu Volat <mazhe@alkumuna.eu>
Cc:        ticso@cicely.de, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi and WaveShare SpotPear LCD screens

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 04:40:59PM +0100, Matthieu Volat wrote:

> > Le 28 déc. 2015 à 14:55, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de> a écrit :
> > > [...]
> >
> > Basicly they run with fixed configuration HDMI dummy output and then
> > copy the framebuffer over SPI to the display, which has it's own
> > displaymemory.
> > The board has some shift registers, so I'm guessing that the panel
> > itself uses a memory bus.
> > At least one GPIOs is used for backlight and I think there is an enable.
> > The touch controller is connected to I2C and needs it's own driver too.
> > Havn't worked out the details.
> > Easiest for you would be to use one of their bigger HDMI displays.
> > They have 5" and 7" and recently also 10.x".
> > Be aware that they have two 5" - one is connected to the GPIO header
> > for Power and I²C to run the touch controller.
> > The other one uses USB cables and an STM32 controller to run the touch
> > controller as an USB device - not sure if it is a standard device,
> > since I'd tested it with a Linux desktop and it didn't run out of the box.
> > I havn't run any FreeBSD with display yet.
> >

> Thanks, that's a very good summary. So if I understand well, we'd need to add a whole new class of framebuffer. That would be a good exercise, but I fear not having enough time/knowledge to do so... not soon at least.

Or just a driver that copies over as done withLinux, which theoretically
could also be done in userland.
The advantage for copying vs. a new framebuffer is that the GPU features
can be used for creating the image, but IIRC we don't support the GPU
anyway.

I have a complete set of their modules, including the HDMI with the
exception of the 10.x" one, which wasn't available when I'd ordered them.
But in my case I was under time Pressure, so I had to use Linux.

--
B.Walter <bernd@bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de