Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:31:50 +0000
From:      Alex Burke <alexjeffburke@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.3 STABLE kernel compilation oddity

Hi,

I wasnt quite sure what to call this problem.

I am running FreeBSD 5.3 STABLE on a quad Pentium Pro IBM Netfinity
7000 system, and since the GENERIC kernel does not come SMP enabled I
compiled a kernel with SMP support and drivers for networks card and
SCSI RAID adapter built into it (not loaded as modules). This build
happens fine under the original GENERIC kernel.

Afterwards, since that machine is quite powerful and its destined to
be a unix server I wanted to compile a kernel for another box I have.
I wrote the kernel config file, and started the compilation. At some
stage the system crashed, on the console it looked as though it had
tried to reboot itself (3 times!) with various messages about CPUs
ignoring requests. I dont really understand why under the SMP kernel I
compiled the I cannot compile another kernel, but under GENERIC it
works fine.

I can only think two things, either I have stumbled accross an odd bug
or my hardware appears to be working fine on the surface and actually
there is something slightly wrong, although this machine ran the
GENERIC kernel of 5.2 for a long time without any issues (5.2.1 was
SMP enabled from the start I believe).

I apologize if I posted this to the wrong list, I just thought as this
is related to STABLE this is the right place for it.

Thanks in advance, Alex J Burke