Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:38:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using MFS for the first time

Joseph <mystical@houston.rr.com> wrote:
 > Okay, so I've been using Windows, so what?! Sure it crashes alot, and
 > has a serious number of fatal errors, but it compatible with an easy to
 > configure Ram-disk program. In a matter of seconds, i had a virtual
 > drive running off of my 512 mb of spare ram.

That's right, the old RAM-Disk driver even existen in the
old DOS days, 15 years ago, and that's where it belongs.
It is static and non-swappable.  Not even perfect for a
single-tasking system like DOS.  ;-)

 > Okay, so maybe i exaggerate a little. I'm not too fond of Windows.
 > Freebsd is the best choice i've made by far. However, i am quite new to
 > MFS usages, and Kernel compilations. I'm hoping that an expert in this
 > field can point out the pro's and con's, usages of, maintenance of MFS.
 > Btw, this is just a standalone system, a personal computer, u might say.

I'm not an expert, but I'm using MFS myself.  It's pretty
easy to set up:  Add a line like this to your /etc/fstab
file:

/dev/null  /tmp  mfs  rw,nosuid,nodev,-s=204800,-m=0,-T=minimum  0  0

The number behind "-s=" specifies the maximum size in disk
blocks, where one block is 512 bytes.  In the above example,
the MFS filesystem would be 100 Mbytes.  It is mounted on
/tmp, which is the typical usage for an MFS.

Pros:  Well, it's faster than a physical disk, as long as
there is enough RAM to back up the data.  If you run out
of RAM, the contents of the MFS are (partially) paged to
the swap area on your harddisk, just like a normal process
(and unlike the DOS RAMdisk driver).

Cons:  If you're really low on RAM, and MFS won't do you
any good -- quite the opposite:  It takes up valuable RAM
which ends up being paged to disk anyway if there's not
enough RAM left.

Another disadvantage is that the contents of the MFS are
lost when the machine reboote (obviously).  On the other
hand it could be seen as an advantage, as the contents of
/tmp don't have to be cleaned after a reboot.

Be careful not to mount an MFS on /var/tmp, because this
directory is expected by several tools to survive a reboot
(for example to save vi editor sessions)!

Regards
   Oliver