Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:22:55 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        "Scott D. Lancaster" <slancaster@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable Modem Installs

Scott,

On Wed, Aug 11, 1999 at 06:28:30PM -0500, Scott D. Lancaster wrote:
> I have a  mediaone cable modem. It's sort of like having a direct
> internet connection.
> I have been fumbling around(and I'm too excited) trying to figure out
> how to create a
> floppy that would allow me to install freebsd in this fashion. A section
> on this, up and
> coming connectivity, would be nice. Can you also tell me how to go about
> doing this?

I can't speak for your specific situation, because I've never used a
MediaOne cable modem.  However, if it behaves like a regular ethernet
connection then you shouldn't need to do anything too special, it should
just work.

Your best bet is probably to repost your question to the questions mailing
list (questions@FreeBSD.org) and see if people can provide specific advice
there.

If you do get it working, and you had to do anything particularly out of
the ordinary, we'd appreciate you popping back here and letting us know
about it, so we can try and document it in the Handbook and/or FAQ.  Even
better would be if you could write the documentation. . .

Cheers,

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>