Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 19:41:25 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        ajohn@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us
Cc:        lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Missing File - libc.s0.3.0 - help!

    Anil> My question is how do you make xdm or startx start the
    Anil> 'fvwm' window manager and in which directory can I find the
    Anil> xsession script?  Also what is the proper way of setting the
    Anil> DISPLAY enviornment variable?

To use fvwm:

1.  cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc $HOME/.xinitrc
2.  Edit $HOME/.xinitrc and change the line that says `twm &' to `fvwm &'
3.  Save the file.  Type startx.

To set DISPLAY:

Don't.

startx, which uses xinit, will set it for you.

If you happen to be in a position where it's not set, then set it as
follows:

* If the program you're trying to run is on the same host where you're
  running X, set DISPLAY to :0
* If the program is not running on the same host as the X server, the
  set the DISPLAY to the hostname of the host running the X server,
  followed by :0

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov