Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 18:35:22 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Jim Mahood <jim@mahood.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't unlink kernel

Jim Mahood <jim@mahood.com> writes:
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> +
> +Go to the URL above and click on the link, then read the explanation
> +of securelevel.  You can't unset it without rebooting.  If you can,
> +it's a bug.
> +
>
> I have, and I understand that I can't unset it -- that would defeat its
> purpose.  I'm supposed to be able to boot into single-user mode, and it's
> supposed to not be set, but I'm not seeing that behavior.  I was able to

Where did you read this?  Once it's set it's set.  You can't unset it
until the kernel is restarted.  If there is a condition under which
you can unset it, you have found a bug.  Being able to unset it, even
in single-user mode, would, as you understood, defeat its purpose.

Regards

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org