Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:41:07 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports .ko installation directory

Do we have a standard for where .ko modules should be installed?

I've found the sysutils/pmap port to be pretty cool - I almost think we
should bring it into the base system.
Anyway, it installs into /boot/kernel (unless MODULES_WITH_WORLD is
defined), which to me is just wrong.  What if I've named mine /boot/foo?
Its perfectly reasonable.  /boot/<KERNEL> is for a kernel build.

Looking around it seems most (all other?) ports install into
/boot/modules.  I really don't like the inconsistency - if I have to
reinstall all my Ports .ko's after installing a new kernel than so be it.
But it should be the case for all - not making it so I have to remember
to do it for only one or two.

Not being sure what the vast majority of Ports maintainers/developers use,
I wanted to check if /boot/modules was our de-facto standard or something
else.

thanks,
--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)