Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 2002 16:02:03 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Man page entities in the handbook: 5.0?

--GTGEtWEe6jD60dxL

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 08:40:53PM +0100, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> I have a question: when 5.0 will be released, what will be the Handbook
> version available online? 5.0, right?

That's not what I'd assumed.  The Handbook and FAQ document (IMHO)=20
FreeBSD-stable (or thereabouts).  Since 5.x won't be -stable until
sometime between the 5.1 and 5.2 timeframe (given current thinking), the
main thrust of the Handbook will still be the 4.x releases.

However, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't have sections and/or
chapters in the Handbook that start

    This covers technology that is available in FreeBSD 5.x only.

Perhaps more compellingly, we don't have a mechanism for maintaining
multiple versions of the same documentation, or sections targetted at
different versions of the OS.

It's not impossible, and there are some solutions that would be
relatively easy to deploy, although they involve a couple of extra steps
using XML (but we can keep the current buildtoolds, openjade and so on).

Before we start down that path though it's probably worth thrashing out
a few other issues.  For example, how do we want to handle presenting
all this stuff on the FreeBSD website?

At the moment the user has two axes they select on when deciding which
document to see -- the language and the format.  This would add a third,
consisting of the FreeBSD version number.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--GTGEtWEe6jD60dxL

--GTGEtWEe6jD60dxL--