Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 21:48:11 GMT
From:      Michael Searle <searle+lon@longacre.demon.co.uk>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RTP tools (was: Re: Remote and Voice control)

Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it> wrote:

>>> Yes. I've been looking at the TV-out cards but haven't decided on any
>>> of them yet. However since my TV has RGB input, would anyone know if

>> As far I know the scan frequency of all cards exept (good old) cga card
>> are lot to high above that most TV sets can handle

> Not sure about the details (which might be a pure invention of mine) but
> I believe that some tv converters run the card at 31.5KHz horiz
> frequency, and have an internal one-line buffer.  They play every second
> line at half speed from the buffer, alternating between even and odd on
> each frame.

> Since 31.5KHz is supported by monitors, you don't break them, and can
> still adapt to the standard TV screen. Difficulty may arise since 50Hz
> vertical freqyency is a bit on the low side for normal PC monitors...

It's probably OK, at least on my monitor the lower the resolution, the
lower the vertical frequency needs to be. At 1152x864 it gets flickery
below 68-70Hz, while 800x600 looks OK at 56Hz. (It can sync down to 40Hz)

BTW, there are VGA/SVGA monitors that go down to 15.625kHz. They are
usually old ones though (eg NEC 3D, NEC MultiSync I/II)

--
Michael Searle - csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk