Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:01:50 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD sources from 20000'

> REMINDER REMINDER - The whole point of this exercise is NOT to
> remove ANYTHING from FreeBSD. Effectively, FreeBSD will become a
> grow-only system with the configuration and installation policies
> placed in the hands of the owners or sysadmins. By "grow-only", I
> do not mean we cannot throw out the trash; it just means that
> arguments such as "please don't remove UUCP" or "please remove the
> r-utils" are largely irrelevant.
[.....]
> OK. End of this thought-dump. Who's coming to play?

IMHO this is quite an interesting idea - kind of like what Solaris
does with it's packages only better.

I don't think it'll work though :-)

At the moment FreeBSD consists of the base system (we maintain
two) and then a bunch of ``other things'' on top.  Originally,
they were all pretty much distinct/separate, although lately the
ports have become quite complicated dependency-wise, and the doc
& www trees have a lot of ports dependencies.

What you're proposing is way too granular, and the whole dependency
tree would be horrific.

I believe that a better approach (which isn't radically different to
what you're suggesting) would be to make a ``set'' mechanism for the
ports - probably just a series of super-ports like docproj or kde.

Then we can start pulling things like ``everything in contrib'' out
into the ports hierarchy and making super-ports/sets out of them
where this makes sense, and progress to system utilities that aren't
vital in running a machine.

I think the big problem with all of this however is that there's no
easy way to keep the ports up-to-date.  I know that work is underway
here, but until I have a tool that will go into /var/db/pkg and to a
``make buildpackages'' so that I can subsequently ``make
installpackages'', I'd be loath to move anything from contrib to
ports.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>