Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 22:16:26 -0400
From:      "Naga Narayanaswamy" <naga@mindspring.com>
To:        "Rob" <telez@brown.edu>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ip src address in outgoing ipv4 multicast packets

In my 4.6-RC system, I do not have problems with RIPv2
and OSPFv2 packets. I tried zebra routing daemon just now and
RIP multicast packets with 224.0.0.9 have proper source address
of the interface originating them and OSPFv2 HELLO multicast
packets with dst 224.0.0.5 have proper src address of the interface
originating them.

When you say src address is set to host group, what application generates
them? What is the src and  dest address ? I quickly checked Rich Stevens vol
II.
Looks like the code has been like this since old days.
Is the application setting the src address as mc group intentionally?

Regards
Naga.