Date:      10 May 2003 12:01:36 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        pat bey <phaza7@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FREEBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: user mode

pat bey <phaza7@yahoo.com> writes:

> Yesterday I re-compiled my kernel, went into single-user mode and now I stuck in single user mode. how could I get into multi-user mode.  FBSD 4.6

We can only guess, because you didn't say what happens when you *try*
to get out of multi-user mode.  Normally, either "exit" or "reboot"
will be the way you get out of single-user mode.

If it keeps going into single-user mode on its own when you boot, then
you need to pay attention to *why* it's doing that, and solve the
problem.  Needing an fsck is a common reason (see the handbook), but
there could be others.

If the new kernel is causing the problem itself, then boot the old
kernel instead.