Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:24:38 +0200
From:      Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com>
To:        Mike Manilone <crtmike@gmx.us>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to update ports while using pkgng?

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Mike Manilone <crtmike@gmx.us> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using ports with pkgng enabled. But I found that portmaster won't
> work. Is there any way to update ports? Thanks!

Since no one asked: Why would you want to do it this way? If you are using
pkgng updating is as easy as: pkg upgrade.

If you have some programs installed not available from official pkgng
repositories you are on "thin ice" and should consider using something like
ports-mgmt/poudriere to build pkgng packages of those ports and host your
own repo from which you can then install them.

As others already said: pkgng is drastically different from previous
package management, so they do should not be used in parallel.

Best regards
Andreas