Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 02:03:03 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ariff Abdullah <skywizard@time.net.my>
Cc:        Axel Scheepers <ascheepe@surf.iae.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On the fly compression

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 05:48:00PM +0800, Ariff Abdullah wrote:

> I dont have any idea about compressing the file system (If I'm wrong
> do correct me). But you can compress the binary itself using
> gzip. Just make sure you have the appropriate kernel with support of
> executing gzipped compressed binary.  Refer to the LINT.  good luck

FreeBSD doesn't currently support compressed filesystems (and the
gzipped binary kernel option only works for the legacy a.out binary
format). Use the gzexe(1) utility.

Kris

--=20
NOTE: To fetch an updated copy of my GPG key which has not expired,
finger kris@FreeBSD.org

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn--