Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 2020 18:14:44 +0100
From:      Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to see shutdown log

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 at 14:41, Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com> wrote:

> Polytropon wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 20:58:01 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> >> When you boot the system a bunch of messages roll across the screen to
> >> fast to read. The dmesg -a command will show these to you to read at
> >> your own pace. When you issue the shutdown or halt command a bunch of
> >> different messages roll across the screen to fast to read.
> >>
> >> Is there a way view these messages after the system comes back up later?
> >
> > Yes, those are located to /var/log/messages, as long as
> > file system access is possible; the last kernel messages
> > therefore aren't being logged.
>

> I checked and what is logged to /var/log/messages on host shutdown is no
> were close to the messages I see fly past on the console terminal.
>
> This is real easy for people to test so give it a run.
>
> Thinking maybe something else is controlling what goes to the message
> file on shutdown. Have any ideas where I should look?

Not everything that you see on the console is logged to
/var/log/messages, check your /etc/syslog.conf.

I have this:

*.err;kern.warning;auth.notice;mail.crit                /dev/console
*.notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err
/var/log/messages

But I can still see some shutdown messages in /var/log/messages:

Jul 23 21:46:30 FreeBSD shutdown[2319]: power-down by oc:
Jul 23 21:46:30 FreeBSD kernel: .
Jul 23 21:46:30 FreeBSD ntpd[687]: ntpd exiting on signal 15 (Terminated)
Jul 23 21:46:30 FreeBSD kernel: .
Jul 23 21:46:30 FreeBSD syslogd: last message repeated 1 times
Jul 23 21:46:31 FreeBSD syslogd: exiting on signal 15

--
Ottavio Caruso