Date:      Tue, 2 May 1995 14:19:34 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   gcc -s option?

    Are there any reports of gcc 2.6.3's -s I wrote a small utility to
tally up accesses per user from an NCSA httpd logfile.  If I compile
it with "cc -O3 -s -o faddup faddup.c", it will run the first time,
but then immediately segfault on subsequent runs.  Compiling it
without -s allows it to run indefinite times.  Stripping the non -s
binary does *not* cause segfaulting on the second and subsequent runs.
Running the -s binary in gdb 4.13 twice also segfaults, but of course
I can't tell where it is dying because the symbols have been deleted.
This problem occurs on both my Am486DX4/100 (950412-SNAP) and an Intel
P5-90 (950322-SNAP).

    I don't know if this is relevant, but I could not boot a stripped
950322 kernel either.  It would get to the memory check and then
reboot itself.  Haven't tried the 950412 kernel yet.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org