Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 19:59:56 +0400
From:      "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
To:        "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: portupgrade + ruby-uri dependency ?

Hi!

> after a cvsup of my ports hierarchy I just did a
>
> pkg_add -r portupgrade

Mmmm... Why?
I mean, you have _fresh_ Ports tree, so why you are installing
package (probably built some days or even weeks ago)?

Just cd ports/sysutils/portupgrade and make install to get
latest version of the port.

> Everything went fine, the depending packages ruby-* were automatically
> fetched and installed. Afterwards a portsdb -Uu gave no errors.
> But
> #pkgdb -F
> [snip]
> Checking the origin of ruby-1.6.6
> Checking the origin of ruby-fnmatch-1.1b_1
> Checking the origin of ruby-optparse-0.8.6
> Checking the origin of ruby-uri-0.9,1
> Stale origin: 'net/ruby-uri'
> Guessing... no idea.
> New origin? (? to help):
> Skip this? [yes]

See above. Ruby-uri has gone, but you installed package built
at the time when it (ruby-uri) was in the tree.

> All those ruby-packages were installed as dependency of portupgrade, but
> indeed there is neither ruby-uri in ports/net nor anywhere else in
> ports/ .
>
> How to deal with this situation? Is the portupgrade built with wrong
> dependencies or is it the ruby-package?
> Can I just leave everything like it is?
>
> This is on an old Pentium 90, (running RELENG_4_5), so I prefer packages
> over compiling from sources/ports.

Well... In this particular case of portupgrade you'll need
1.2 MBytes of distfiles (ruby, ruby-whatever, etc.) so i doubt
it'll take much time and space to build portupgrade.

But if you prefer packages: maybe you just don't need ports hierarchy...:)
Try to find newer package.

HTH,
Igor