Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:00:45 +1000
From:      Brett Wildermoth <B.Wildermoth@griffith.edu.au>
To:        Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD64 + Nvidia Display Card

--nextPart1242507.ZcnZNn1fVI

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:17 pm, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Brett Wildermoth wrote:

> >>Not true.  FreeBSD's kernel doesn't provide some things needed for an
> >> amd64 driver to be feasible.
> >
> >Like what???? what are these features? and if they are really important
> > why aren't they on the cards to be included into FreeBSD......
>
> I think this has come up before (multiple times...almost a FAQ-candidate
> IMO).
> AFAICR, the changes are not in CURRENT, yet, but there are plans to
> integrate them in the future.
>
> Can't you just run those AMD-boxes in i386-mode, for the time being?
>
> BTW: wouldn't it be good to note things like these in the
> "errata"-section in the handbook?
> The port itself is marked as "ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=3D i386". But usually, by the
> time one reaches that stage, the hardware has already been bought ;-)
>
> Do all other Xorg-drivers work on AMD64?
>

> cheers,
> Rainer

The card is too new to be supported by the nv 2D driver supplied in Xorg. A=
ny=20
card supported by the standard Xorg under FreeBSD x86 is also supported und=
er=20
=46reeBSD x86-64 with the same capabilities.

Brett

=2D-=20
 Brett Wildermoth BEng(ME) MPhil
 Lecturer / PhD Student
 School of Microelectronic Engineering
 Faculty of Engineering and Info. Tech.
 Ph. +61 7 3875 5063, Fax. +61 7 3875 5384
 Email. B.Wildermoth@grifith.edu.au