Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 19:56:53 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        GoodleafJ@immunex.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postgres error --Bad system call

GoodleafJ@immunex.com types:
> Hello,
> Downloaded newest postgres port and installed just fine. Initdb worked as
> usual. Yet when I try to start the postmaster, I get Bad System Call and
> have the core dumped. The odd thing is that I do have the SYS V options in
> my kernel. Specifically I have:
>
> options        SYSVSHM
> options        SYSVMSG
> options        SYSVSEM
>
> in the kernel. I am aware, from looking at LINT, that there are more
> related options, but I have to confess I don't entirely understand them. In
> the past though, I have had no trouble getting Postgres to work with just
> these options.

Clearly, you're missing an option, as the lastest version of
PostgreSQL works fine here.

It would help if you knew what system call was causing the
problems. There are a number of options for getting that; truss is
probably easiest if you have KTRACE enabled in your kernel. Otherwise,
try getting postgres built with the '-g' flag (if it isn't) and
running the apropriate process - probably postmaster - under gdb.

	<mike