Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 06:48:53 -0500
From:      stan <stanb@awod.com>
To:        Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic on 4.5 STABLE

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 03:12:18AM +0100, Danny Pansters wrote:

> > Thanks, I've done that 3 times in the last 2 days :-(
> >

> > I've been able to reproduce it with the GENERIC kernel. I also
> > removed everythign that I did not absolutley nee, rebuilt the
> > kernel, and it's still there :-(
> >

> > Thanks for the advice, and help.
>
> Hmm well it didn't help much though :-(
>
> We could take it to a higher level of patheticality (just invented a
> word there I think) and consider a reinstall from scratch from
> 4.5-REL ISO. If it still happens then well you'll at least be famous
> for discovering a major bug...

I got to playing around last night. i decided to manually load the ipfw
module, and see if I could reprodice the crash. However, when I tried to
load it, I got an error message about it already being loaded. After seatching
throguh all the /boot configs etc. I ran kldsatat which still said it was not
loaded. So I tried to unload it, which appeared to work. After that I could not
reproduce the crash. I suspect that the optional trafshow modules (from portss)
may be using some of the same hooks as ipfw does? In any case I reconfigured
rc.conf to load ipfw with the open ruleset, and now ipfw -a l no longer panics
my mahcine.

I'm confident that this is a genuine bug, but at this point, I have spent over
4 days working on it, and (no offense to you inetnded) it's apaprent that I
have not atracted the interest of anyone that can really understand the porblem.
So, even though I would like to see the bug fixed, I'm just goign to take my
workaround, and move on to the work that I had scheduled for this wekend.

U;v got to get my wifes ne Debian worksatiation set up, and going.

Thanks for all the patient help on this. You were very helpful in geting
me to logicly reason through this.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin