Date:      Mon, 08 May 2006 17:41:17 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@datalinktech.com.au>
To:        Michael Gerhards <HM-Gerhards@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with sk?

Michael Gerhards wrote:

>But by browsing through this list I found the thread "sk0: watchdog timeout"
>and the problem described there is quite similiar to what I get here. So
>perhaps this bug in the sk driver is also the cause for my trouble here?!

Possibly (and even likely). It sounds like a very severe case of the
same thing.

I have been running a Marvell/Yukon 100mb adapter on FreeBSD RELENG_6
(the onboard NIC on an ASUS mb) and it does sometimes reset connections
and dmesg shows the timeout maybe 2 or 3 times a day.  The system is
used in-house only and does not have high load (well, except for burst
load when serving samba and NFS shared ${PORTSDIR}/distfiles, which
overall works fine), so it is useable with the occasional but rarely
noticeable glitch, like a connection pausing for 10-15 seconds then
resuming.

Currently running:

FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #1: Thu Feb 23 09:03:11 EST 2006
~
skc0: <Marvell Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xd400-0xd4ff mem
0xfeaf8000-0xfeafbfff irq 22 at device 5.0 on pci2
skc0: Marvell Yukon Lite Gigabit Ethernet rev. A3(0x7)
sk0: <Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. Yukon> on skc0

I should mention that this is a vast improvement from a couple years ago
under 5.0 and 5.1 it would attach the driver to the card but the
interface was not functional at all.

>Can I somehow use this patch for sk0 _without_ changing everything to
>-current? Acutually, I wanted to stay to 6.1-RELEASE...

Apparently the timeout problem is fixed in -CURRENT, and will be merged
after 6.1-RELEASE. Enjoy.

Tracking -STABLE is a Good Thing, IMHO, quite aside from the security
updates, bugs which don't even affect you right now (but may do
sometime) get fixed, and the -STABLE tag tends to be quite appropriate.
I only ever used -RELEASE media for the initial install. A system I run
at home was originally installed from FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT, also now
running a mid-Feb 6.1-PRERELEASE, upgraded from sources many many times
over (build world+kernel takes just under 3 days). :-)

Regards,
David