Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 17:33:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Matt Day <mday@artisoft.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SAMBA

Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org> wrote:
> wangel@wgrobez1.remote.louisville.edu (Gary Roberts) wrote:
> > Is there any software for freebsd that lets me mount my shared drives on
> > my win95 machine?
> >
> > I know I can use smbclient, but I want to actually MOUNT the drive.  Say I
> > have a cd in my cdrom on my win95 machine, I want to be able to mount the
> > cdrom, and then make an iso using mkisofs of that cdrom, is that possible?
>
> Wait for CIFS.  It will supposedly use Kerberos 5 tickets for
> credential exchange.  This will finally solve the "anti-UNIX"
> architecture problems of SMB.

That's not very correct.

Microsoft's implementation of CIFS *might* use Kerberos v5 - they're
still in the design phase.

CIFS itself will probably not specify a particular authentication
protocol.  The CIFS designers are currently thinking of basing the
authentication system on GSS-API (RFC 1508/1509) which would give
the CIFS implementor the capability to choose the actual authentication
protocol.  CIFS may suggest Kerberos v5 as a possible protocol,
but it probably won't require it.  This is also in the design phase
right now.

The authentication issue isn't the only "anti-UNIX" problem, either.
CIFS will need to solve many other issues, such as: UID mapping,
file attribute/permission mapping, file name space differences,
file locking mapping, date/time differences, UNICODE issues, and
others.  CIFS is going to try to address all these issues.

If you want to mount Win95 drives from a FreeBSD system, please
don't wait for CIFS - CIFS won't be ready for months, at least.
Instead, port or write ksmbfs for FreeBSD!  The ksmbfs kernel module
for Linux (in Samba's contributed section) already provides the
capability to mount SMB volumes from Linux.  (Unfortunately, you
can't NFS export stuff mounted by ksmbfs, due to limitations.)
Getting ksmbfs on FreeBSD would also be a great way to help prepare
FreeBSD for CIFS.

Download ksmbfs from:
ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/samba/contributed/ksmbfs-0.2.4.tgz

Matt Day <mday@artisoft.com>