Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 11:07:56 -0700
From:      Jason Kocol <mrkocol@cv.org>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp, tun0, and 2 IP addresses

Leif Neland wrote:

> > I am running FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE, using ppp with a DSL router.  I run
> ppp
> > in ddial mode, using tun0 as the device.  My DSL service provides me
> > with a dynamic IP address.
> >
> > Whenever I get disconnected somehow (most likely by the ISP or
> switch I
> > am connected to), and ppp reconnects, tun0 ends up binding to 2
> > different IP addresses - the one it was using prior to disconnecting
> and
> > the new one.
> >
> > Has anyone ever experienced this problem and has a way to solve it?
> It
> > happens to me regularly.  Please let me know if you need any more
> > information.
> >
> It is no problem. It is because processes running during the cutoff
> and reconnect does not have to bind to another IP.
>
> Are you having any trouble with it, other than confusion?
>
> Leif

Yes, I am having trouble with it because I also have a utility running
that will update my IP address at dyndns.org if it changes (so I can
have a constant URL to connect to my machine).  The utility does not
update the IP address when this happens because it still sees the old
one bound to tun0 as well.  Thus, I am unable to connect to this machine
remotely until I reset everything manually.