Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:22:00 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portability sanity check

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 05:13:35PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <200102211553.f1LFrvs07412@billy-club.village.org>, Warner Losh writes:
> >In message <20010221094228.A93221@hamlet.nectar.com> "Jacques A. Vidrine" writes:
> >: Likewise if the first member were a more complex data type, but
> >: nevertheless the same between the different structures.
> >:
> >: It seems safe to me, but I can't explain why :-)
> >
> >It is obfuscated 'C', but it is safe.  The standard requires that
> >(void *) &foo == (void *) &foo->s and that if s were a complex
> >structure that it be laid out the same in all instances of s.  So I
> >think that it is "safe" to do that.
>
> Safe, but stupid, since type-safety is lost when doing so.

Type-safety is a cruch for the weak-minded.

:-)

But seriously I think that for the purpose of building a utility
function for use by qsort or similar, using a union just for such
a purpose is more obfuscated.

   struct nothing_much_in_common_really {
	const char *s;
	union {
	      struct foo foo;
	      struct bar bar;
	} u;
   };

But if there is a better way, I'm all ears :-)

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org