Date:      Thu, 11 May 2006 17:23:06 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nagy_L=E1szl=F3_Zsolt?= <nagylzs@freemail.hu>
To:        Sam Clements <sclements@gmail.com>,  freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA Raid motherboard

Sam Clements írta:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ataraid&sektion=4&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.0-RELEASE+and+Ports
>

> Says:
>     The ataraid driver can read the following metadata formats:
>
>     ·     Adaptec HostRAID
>     ·     Highpoint V2 RocketRAID
>     ·     Highpoint V3 RocketRAID
>     ·     Intel MatrixRAID
>
> I do believe only RAID 0 or 1 is supported in a two disk
> configuration. Also, note that ataraid cannot yet write this metadata
> format so you'll have to use the BIOS to create & rebuild your
> RAID's...
Thank you. Of course I can use the BIOS to create the mirrored set. But
after that, can I install FreeBSD with the standard installer?  I'm not
sure if 'ataraid' is included in GENERIC. Will the installer notice the
RAID-1 array as a new physical drive? Unfortunately, I do not have the
hardware yet, so I cannot try this. A real SCSI RAID controller would be
too expensive for me. If I cannot install the whole system on the
mirrored set, then probably it is better to use gvinum, because it
allows me to buy a cheaper motherboard and use different hard drives.
However, gvinum also has disadvantages (cannot mirror the root fs, or it
is too difficult and I'm not familiar with vinum...)

Thanks,

   Laszlo