Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 02:27:33 -0400
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Ignacio Cristerna <ignacioc@avantel.net>, Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No port of Opera? (Was: ((FreeBSD : Linux) :: (OS/2 : Windows)))

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 10:52:13AM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> Bill, if you really believe that insisting upon native ports
> is an "FSF-like" tactic, you clearly have no sense of how to
> do advocacy, nor do you fathom the nastiness of the FSF.

% Insist \In*sist"\, v. i.
%    1. To stand or rest; to find support; -- with in, on, or
%       upon. [R.] --Ray.
%    2. To take a stand and refuse to give way; to hold to
%       something firmly or determinedly; to be persistent,
%       urgent, or pressing; to persist in demanding; -- followed
%       by on, upon, or that; as, he insisted on these conditions;

     3. To rip out existing support in the hopes that by pissing
	of existing users and break working support you will
	get want you want. See: sulk

> At 10:24 PM 7/7/2000, Bill Fumerola wrote:
>
> >We'd all like more native ports, no-one disagrees with that.
> >
> >We just see different ways of getting them. Please don't say you
> >are "with Brett" unless you agree with his FSF-like tactics[1] as well.

Brett,

Thanks for not quoting the part of the message that makes my comment
clearer. Because my mail archives and mailer still work, I'll provide
it:

> > "If you don't distribute source, we'll make it so you
> > can't distribute a binary."
> > sounds to me an awful like
> > "If you don't make a FreeBSD port, we'll rip out the emulation
> > layer that allows your software to work."

I called the _tactics_ FSF-like, not the _goal_.

If you spent half of your time actually doing work, providing code,
writing documentation, sending patches, or just about anything other
then calling for nuclear war against vendors, that would leave only
half your time to be spent making an ass of yourself.

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect / Computer Horizons Corp - CHIMES
e-mail: billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org