Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 12:33:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Funny things to do with tar...

Hi folks,

well, in the following I will talk about some strange experiences I have
recently made usig "tar". Probably some of you will have some suggestions
as to how to make my future tar-esperiences less strange. In that case,
I'd be glad to hear about it!

Ok, the situation was like that: I started investigating in the
possibility of using tar together with CD-RW media in order to back up my
system. I thought the best thing I might do was trying it out under real
world conditions, which means creating a backup of machine 1 and then
extract it back to machine 2, which I have put together especially for
this test.

So let's do it, I thought, and had a look at the tar man page. I decided
that I could simply use tar with the standards -c option, then tell it
that I wanted multiple volumes (-M) and that the volumes should be
CD-sizes (-L).

I started tar like that, created multiple .tar files on my hard disk, and
burned them on CD. Note that I made an ISO-fs of each .tar file first, as
pervious experiences have shown that burning a "raw" .tar file to CD
causes problems that manifest themselves that during the extraction
process tar will not be able to detect the end-of-file, so it will abort
with a lot of read errors once it has reached the end of the first CD.
Making an ISOFS from each .tar file solves that issue.

Let's go ahead: Finally, all my CDs were ready, containing the complete
/usr partition of my work machine. I then headed over to my test machine
to restore the CDs. It did in fact work, without any obvious error
messages!

The problematic part begins here: Upon having extracted the tar-CDs, I
tried to see if the extracted data was actually usable. In order to find
that out, I decided to start a few programs and see if them run.
Interestingly, when I started X with KDE, KDE didn't want to start.
kdeinit (as well as several other KDE processes) crashed and dumped core.
I tried to investigate on that issue, but without luck.

Eventually, I erased the whole /usr partition on my test machine, and used
NFS to directly copy /usr over from my work machine to my test machine.
After that operation had completed, KDE would run again!

So, what have I learned? Obviously, the data extracted from my .tar-CDs
was at least partly corrupted, as copying the same data via NFS worked.
All of this makes the issue extremely complicated: I don't know if the
data got corrupted during creation of the .tar files, during the burncd
process, or during the extraction process. Furthermore, I don't know if I
should probably look for the fault in the CD-RW writer, in the CD-ROM
drive that read the data, or if I should suspect I have bad CD-RW media.
All I know is that a backup process like this is not a good thing to use
for actually backing up important files.

So, any suggestions? Is anybody using tar + CD-RW and can tell me about
successes or similar failures? Any ideas how I can better make sure that
the data on my CD-RW media is actually in good working condition? I'd be
glad to hear about anything related to this issue!

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org