Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:00:39 -0800
From:      Eugene Lee <eugene@anime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I need a script.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 01:49:32PM -0600, Christopher Farley wrote:
:
: Bill Mitcheson (turtle@pyramus.com) wrote:
:
: > I'm looking for a script that will automatically restart a daemon. We
: > are experiencing the following error:
: >
: > pid 7458 (named), uid 53: exited on signal 6
: >
: > We would like to have a script that would search for the named process
: > and restart it if it is not found. Any help would be greatly
: > appreciated!
:
: Why is named dying? Is this something that has started happening
: recently?
:
: If 'named -v' returns anything but 'named 8.2.3-REL' (or higher),
: your named crashes may be malicious.

I had 2 crashes within a week using the stock named in 4.2-RELEASE.
I recompiled named from the FreeBSD source, and that seems to work
without any problems.  I'm running 'named 8.2.3-T6B'.  I wonder if
the shipped binary has a problem.

--
Eugene Lee
eugene@anime.net