Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 16:16:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   keywords for freebsd versions

I have thought in the past that it would be useful to have specific
keywords associated with major versions of FreeBSD.  The main reason
being, it makes it easier to search for documentation based on that
specific version.

I could search for 4.1, but that is not very helpful when 4.1 can apply to
anything.  If FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE was associated with the word Cougar, I
could then search for FreeBSD and Cougar and find specific things that I
need.  I could also search for FreeBSD, SNMP and Cougar and get some good
results for SNP in 4.1.

A side effects with giving keywords to major versions is that it takes
on a sort of personality.  Like how each O'Reilly book carries some animal
or object on the cover.  It gives more meaning.  This latest version of
FreeBSD seems more powerful and fast that previous versions.  It could
have been called Cheetah.  The next update to 4.2 may include several
security updates, it could be called Rhino.

Another naming scheme may be more appropriate, but this makes my point
clear enough.

Does this sound like something worth doing?

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com