Date:      Sat, 01 Jul 2006 16:33:54 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fixed my server crashing in X with AGP video

I have a server that ran fine in FreeBSD 5.X but after updating to 6.0
started crashing and rebooting from X.  I thought maybe it was some anomaly
and hoped 6.1 would fix it.

It was still crashing, so I dove in to find why . . .

It seems with some RTFM on the nvidia driver notes, I found the agp module
compiled into FreeBSD kernels by default in 6.0 was a known problem.

I disabled the kernel's agp putting in:
hint.agp.0.disabled="1"
in /boot/device.hints

There is a driver setting for the nvidia driver I added to my XF86Config
telling it to manage the agp.

Since making these changes the server is completely stable running X.

I have seen other messages with other video card problems, and wanted to
share my experience as it may help other agp video card users.

         -Derek
         derek@computinginnovations.com

believed to be clean.