Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 08:55:55 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beginners with bsd

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 06:53:27AM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Gary Kline <kline@tera.com> types:
> > 	I'll throw in my dime's worth and suggest that every `info'
> > 	page be turned into a man-style page with hyperlinks.  If
> > 	hyperlinks (and space) been available 25 years ago, every
> > 	manual entry would've had links.  Another think the man
> > 	pages would've had is examples.  The reason man pages were
> > 	so terse was that disk space was extremely costly.
>
> Gee, and I thought it was because programmers hated writing
> documentation. I know I do.

	:-)  Yup, same.  I'd rather hack 1000 lines of code than
	100 lines of man page.  The man pages are the "other 90%"
	of the job.

> `In fact, someone here (wasn't it here)
> recently provided a pointer to an AT&T page on Unix history, wherein
> one specific person was creditied with making sure that all programs
> on Unix had man pages - and even to getting some programs rewritten to
> be up to the standards for the man pages.
>
> Now disk space being costly may well be why the original Unix man
> pages weren't formated, but kept on disk in nroff form and formatted
> when you read them.

	When a fellow student griped that the man pages were hard
	to understand, our prof said something like, "Tough; get
	used to it because that's how it'll always be with man pages.
	They are summaries, not tutorials."  This was in 1978 and
	since both disk and RAM has gotten *way* cheaper, it seems
	to me that paradigm should change.  Sure, give me the summary
	of flags up-front-and-terse.  But examples or hyperlinks to
	examples and perhaps a tutorial sure wouldn't hurt.

	gary