Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:32:15 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander V Zubchenko <stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua>
To:        Jim Whitehead <jnwhiteh@demeter.syr.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Group/User limitations

Greetings!

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Jim Whitehead wrote:

> In my current setup on FreeBSD 4.5, I have the following needs..
>
> I have 250+ users who actively upload their new developments onto the
> webserver.  Each user belongs to a group which is the same as their
> username (standard).  Each directory is owned by the creating user, and is
> group owned by an abstract group (such as "healthdept", or "boxoffice").
> This is to allow multiple users to edit the same files, and keep
> permissions intact.
>
> I have an administrator of the web directories, who is NOT and should NOT
> be an admin of the machine.  He should belong to all of the abstract
> groups, so he can make changes as necessary.
Is it possible way: all directories belong to user, who is
administrator of web-directories. In fact, i think tht administrator
must create directories. But for already created is it possible to
change owner to admin (users may access directory by group rights)?
This does not answer on Your question, but hope, may help.

> I'm wondering if a user has a limitation on the amount of groups they can
> belong to.  I have not been able to get any more than the default group
> (username) and another 15 group ownerships. (Checking this through id -Gn
> username).
I don't know, but mayb.

> At first I thought that "id" wasn't showing more than the 16 groups, but I
> tested the permissions on one of the grouped directories that wasn't
> displayed, and i wasn't able to make the changes.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a limitation on groups?

> James N. Whitehead II - 229 Schine Student Center - (315) 443-4747
> Kappa Kappa Psi - Eta Phi	         Syracuse University
>   Upsilon - Spring 2001		   B.S. in Computer Science (2002)
>  NED Secretary/Treasurer  	       M.S. Candidate in 2004
>    Recording Secretary		        Student Affairs G.A.
>        Ritual Chair		     webmaster@students.syr.edu
>
>    Syracuse University Marching Band :: Clarinet Section Leader
>          Sour Sitrus Society :: Web Committee Co-Chair

With respect,

Alexander V Zubchenko,		E-Mail: stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua
System Administrator,		WWW: http://www.hermes-comp.zp.ua/
Hermes-comp,