Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2014 04:59:04 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Simple disk encryption for off-site backup

I'm planning to add a new disk next month to my home setup.
It should be an external USB disk for off-site (really!)
backup. That's why I would like to see the content encrypted.
I have no problem with entering a long passphrase when mounting
the disk for backup or restore operations, and probably I would
not feel safe enough by just using keys (stored somewhere).
The file system will be UFS, so there is no need to worry that
some other OS or "Windows" would not be able to read it. :-)

My question is: What is the _easiest_ mechanism to initialize
a disk for encrypted use? It should work with FreeBSD 9 and 10
in the first place.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany