Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:47:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   2 subnets on same switch

I think this should be on the FAQ.
I saw several messages about this topic, but didn't see the answer I need.

My setup:
Cisco 605 DSL router connected to a switch. FreeBSD machine has two
network cards. Rest of machines are Windows 2000 and 98.

I need to be able to connect to the FreeBSD machine from outside. The
router is configured to pass 5 IP addresses through and to also let
addresses in the 10.0.0.# subnet to use the router as a gateway.

Before I would have:
Cisco

Freebsd with real IP

FreeBSD with local IP

Rest of network with local IPs

The problem with this is that if the FreeBSD machine went down the whole
office would loose internet connectivity. Most of the time there has been
because someone tripped some cables and the FreeBSD machine lost power.

Would assigning one of the FreeBSD cards two IP addresses allow me to
connect to the local network AND to the external IPs?

Currently if I configure the second card with the real IP I get an error
about
arp: ##### is on <card 1> but got reply from #### on <card 2>