Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2006 21:54:08 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Hay <jhay@meraka.org.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>, ports@freebsd.org, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: GNOME 2.16.1 has been committed

John Hay wrote:
> It looks like ports/UPDATING is mixing sysutils/portmanager and
> portmaster in the 20061014 part that tells how to update gnome. Is
> that on purpose?

The entry says this:

20061014:
   AFFECTS: All GNOME users
   AUTHOR: gnome@FreeBSD.org

   GNOME has been updated to 2.16 and all GNOME components have been
   moved from X11BASE to LOCALBASE, to upgrade your GNOME desktop and
   applications you will need either sysutils/portupgrade or
   sysutils/portmaster.

  Portupgrade users:
   pkgdb -Ff
   portupgrade -rf glib-2\* cairo gnome-doc-utils gnome-mime-data \
         gnome-audio startup-notification dbus

  Portmaster users:
   portmaster -r pkg-config\*

The introductory paragraph says "either/or," so it seems pretty clear
to me that if you use portupgrade, do X; if you use portmaster, do Y.
I'm sure however that if you have suggestions for improving that
paragraph, the gnome folks would like to hear them. :)

For those that choose to use portmaster to do the upgrade, first of
all, thanks. :) Second, please make sure that you use the latest
version (1.9), and do NOT attempt this with earlier versions. If you
do, it will fail in a spectacular and painful fashion. I worked
closely with mezz to make sure that portmaster would Do The Right
Thing for this upgrade, and found and fixed several problems with the
way -r was handled previously in the process.

One last thing, you will probably be happier if you add either -d (to
delete all stale distfiles) or -D (to not delete any distfiles) to the
beginning of your command line for portmaster. That way once you get
past the 'make config' stage and actually start building stuff, you
_probably_ won't have to answer any more questions. Also, given that
if this update fails part way through, a backup package of the old
port probably won't help you, you could save yourself some time by
using the -G option as well.

In the unlikely *cough* event that portmaster chokes a bunny while
doing this upgrade for you, please feel free to send a message to the
list, and cc: me. I do pay attention to those messages, but given my
real world commitments at this time, you might very well get the right
answer faster from someone on the -ports@ list before I could provide it.

hth,

Doug