Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:40:41 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   texinfo breakage (Re: cvs commit: ports/lang/librep Makefile pkg-plist ports/lang/librep/files patch-Makedefs.in)

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 01:27:24PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > Is this attempting to fix the problems seen since the recent texinfo
> > import?  That caused dozens of ports to break, but ru is on vacation
> > so I can't discuss a possible global fix with him.
>=20
> What's the problem you are seeing, and what's the global fix you have in
> mind?  (I am most sure that this is not ru's fault at all, him only being
> the proverbial messenger.)

Practically every port that install info files now fails to package:

http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-5-latest/tex-3.14159.log

> If it is makeinfo now generating fewer .info* files, our ports were
> simply relying on a default setting that now changed (for the better).

Yes, that appears to be the cause.

> I suggested/discussed the changes in this area to/with the upstream
> texinfo maintainer, so if you want to discuss any fixes of our ports
> collection, I'm happy to help.

I do not have any proposed fixes; that is what I was going to ask ru for.

> Ultimately, I strongly feel that the current handling of .info files in
> the ports collection is broken in that every port handles them manually.

I'd be happy to test any solution you can come up with, but as it
stands right now the texinfo port has caused dozens of package builds
to fail, and I need someone to either volunteer to fix them, or we
should consider reverting the texinfo setting that causes them to
fail.

Kris
--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK--