Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 1998 09:30:44 -0500
From:      garman@earthling.net
To:        scrappy@hub.org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'junk pointer' with inetd ...

The Hermit Hacker writes:

> 384Meg, and
>
> hub# pstat -s
> Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
> /dev/da0s1b    262144    13780   248236     5%    Interleaved
> /dev/da3s1b    262144    14236   247780     5%    Interleaved
> /dev/da4s1b    262144    14912   247104     6%    Interleaved
> Total          786048    42928   743120     5%

another thing to check is your dmesg; see if there's any "suggest more
swap space" messages in there.  these messages seem to precede the dying
daemons on my box at least. (it at least makes the problem much worse in
my case)

and to those who believe that this bug is only caused when one is "near
swap capacity" -- the swapinfo above would refute that :)

theres several threads about this -- check the archives.  it looks like a
kernel bug where process memory gets zeroed when it forks a copy of
itself.  I see it not only in inetd, but samba, junkbuster, sshd, etc etc
etc.  look for large numbers of segfaulting daemons in your logs :)

enjoy
--
Jason Garman                                      http://garman.dyn.ml.org/
Student, University of Maryland                        garman@earthling.net