Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 22:49:11 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Daniel Frazier" <dfrazier@magpage.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: kernel optimizations for an smp mail server...

This is entirely dependent on how many _simultaneous_ accesses
the box has.  Since you haven't told us this, I'll attempt to
calculate it here:

If your a dialup house running 10-1 on modems, you have 1,000
modems deployed.  Your average user gets 10 messages a day with
an average message size of 20K, and checks mail an average of
once every 2 days, thus pulling a half-meg at a time.  On V.90
this takes about 3 minutes.

With 30 days in the month and a complete mail download every
other day your users will pull a total of 71 gigabytes every month
from the mailserver.  (15 days x 500K x 10,000 users) / 1024 / 1024

Your modems run at 100% utilization, and calls come in evenly spread,
day and night.  Every user uses exactly the same amount of time online.
(I'll omit the calculations but suffice it to say each user can do
72 hours total per month which is more than enough to pull their
7.5MB of mail every month)

As a result of the distribution your server will do 2.36 gigs a
day in e-mail transfers, (7.5 X 10,000) or about 98MB an hour.  A
standard 10Mbt card is about 1.25 Megabytes per second, or about 4.5GB
an hour, so even a 10Mbt card will be run at less than 1% wire utilization
here.  Consider that all that mail has to be copied to the server,
so the ether is being used twice, and we will make an allowance of 2%

That leaves the disk - well all that mail will take up a lot of
storage, but the disk won't be accessed all that much, an 80GB
IDE should have no trouble with this.  CPU utilization is going to be low
at that rate too - so a Pentium 166 with an 80GB disk ought to be
adequate to cover e-mail for this installation.

Considering the hardware you got I think that it's total overkill
and a waste of money.  Oh well, maybe you can suck up the extra
horsepower running a Quake server or something.

Anyway, I'll not continue with this because as you should be able to
see by now, there is not a single recommendation that we can make
that's going to have any meaning whatsover because you have failed to
include the relevant information of how much data you really intend
on passing from your server.  I highly doubt that if you consider
yourself small that your passing 2.3 gigs of data a day from your
mailserver.  If you ask us to speculate then we are going to end
up with meaningless and humorous analysis like this one.